Young Israel Supports Congressional Resolution Rejecting Anti-Israel and Anti-Semitic HatredFebruary 4, 2019
The National Council of Young Israel (NCYI) today expressed support for a congressional resolution that rejects anti-Israel and anti-Semitic hatred in the United States and around the world. H.Res.72, which has nearly two-dozen co-sponsors to date, was recently introduced by Rep. Lee Zeldin, a New York Republican.
The resolution cites a number of examples of public figures that have made troubling anti-Israel and anti-Semitic remarks, including Nation of Islam founder Louis Farrakhan, who referred to Jews as termites and called Adolf Hitler “a very great man,” activist Tamika Mallory, who called Farrakhan “the greatest of all time,” and activist Linda Sarsour, who has made numerous derogatory statements about Jews.
In addition, the resolution mentions BDS supporters Rep. Rashida Tlaib and Rep. Ilhan Omar, each of whom has made disturbing anti-Israel and anti-Semitic comments, and notes the perils posed by the anti-Semitic BDS movement, including the fact that Jewish college students in the United States have encountered “rampant anti-Semitism” on campuses where anti-Israel sentiment has reached dangerous levels. Further, the resolution references the dangers posed by white supremacists and neo-Nazi sympathizers, including Richard Spencer, who led a hate-filled rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in August 2017, and Robert Bowers, who entered a synagogue in Pittsburgh in October 2018, and murdered eleven people. Finally, the resolution notes that, “there has also been a significant amount of other anti-Israel and anti-Semitic hatred in the United States and around the world that must be most strongly condemned.”
“With a frightening rise in anti-Israel animus and anti-Semitism in the United States and throughout the globe, the congressional resolution introduced by Rep. Lee Zeldin sends a clear and timely message that intolerance and bigotry must be unequivocally repudiated by all,” said NCYI President Farley Weiss. “The public and explicit acknowledgement by the United States Congress that we must unite to denounce anti-Israel and anti-Semitic hatred would be a powerful step towards curtailing the racist tendencies that have become all too prevalent in today’s society.”
“We are extremely grateful to Rep. Zeldin for taking the bold step to bring this issue to the forefront, and we urge all Members of Congress to support this critical resolution,” Weiss added. “By taking an active role in heightening awareness of the grave danger that emanates from anti-Semitism, Congress can help our nation and the international community better comprehend the fact that racism has real ramifications and cannot be ignored.”
- Young Israel: College Campuses Shouldn't Embrace Anti-Semites
- Young Israel Statement on Netanyahu Victory
- Young Israel Statement on AirBNB Israel Decision
- Young Israel Statement on President Trump’s Announcement Regarding the Golan Heights
- Young Israel Calls on King Abdullah to Distance Himself from Terrorism and Anti-Semitism After Jordanian MP Praises Terrorist for “Killing the Jews”
- Young Israel Statement on the Deadly Shooting in New Zealand
- Young Israel Statement on U.S. Position Regarding Golan Heights, Judea and Samaria
- Young Israel Praises U.S. Middle East Envoy for Defending Israel’s Decision to Deduct Tax Payments to the Palestinian Authority
- Young Israel Gala Dinner to Honor Israel Supporters, WWII Veterans, and Active Young Israel Members
- Young Israel Blasts Palestinian Authority’s Anti-Semitic Attack on Trump Administration Officials