Young Israel Statement on U.S. Position Regarding Golan Heights, Judea and SamariaMarch 14, 2019
The National Council of Young Israel (NCYI) today issued the following statement regarding the U.S. State Department’s decision to officially identify the Golan Heights as being “under Israeli control,” as opposed to its past designation as “occupied territory.” In addition, the U.S. State Department also eliminated the phrase “occupied” when referring to Judea and Samaria.
“The National Council of Young Israel has long advocated for the recognition of Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, and the State Department’s decision to duly acknowledge it as Israeli territory is a welcome step in the right direction. Coupled with the State Department’s abandonment of the term ‘occupied’ concerning the Israeli neighborhoods in Judea and Samaria, the United States is making a strong statement to the world that Israel has an inherent right to build communities within its own borders, despite the international community’s ridiculous reluctance to allow it to do so.
“Judea and Samaria is an integral part of Israel’s ancestral homeland and has deep-seated connections to the Jewish people that span millennia. The home of many Jewish holy sites, including the burial places of the forefathers and foremothers of the Jewish people, Judea and Samaria was returned to Israeli sovereignty in a defensive war after Jordan attacked Israel in 1967 in an effort to destroy the Jewish State.
“We thank President Trump, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and United States Ambassador to Israel David Friedman for their continued support of the State of Israel and their willingness to stand together with their ally in the face of great adversity from the international community relative to Israel’s right to defend itself against the existential threats that it faces on an ongoing basis.”
- Young Israel Blasts Buttigieg After Threat to Cut Aid to Israel
- National Council of Young Israel and Chovevei Zion Present the 26th Annual Israel Day Concert in Central Park
- Young Israel Praises U.S. Middle East Envoy for UN Address
- Young Israel Condemns Anti-Semitic Remarks by NYU Graduation Speaker
- Young Israel Statement on Response of Reps. Omar and Tlaib to the Latest Round of Rocket Fire from Gaza
- Young Israel Statement on Yesterday's Deadly Sitting in a California Synagogue
- Young Israel: College Campuses Shouldn't Embrace Anti-Semites
- Young Israel Statement on Netanyahu Victory
- Young Israel Statement on AirBNB Israel Decision
- Young Israel Statement on President Trump’s Announcement Regarding the Golan Heights