Young Israel Praises Wasserman Schultz and DNC for Distancing Themselves from the Women’s March; Calls on Them to Distance Themselves from Reps. Omar and Tlaib Due to Their BDS SupportJanuary 22, 2019
The National Council of Young Israel (NCYI) today praised Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz and the Democratic National Committee (DNC) for distancing themselves from the Women’s March amidst allegations of anti-Semitism amongst the group’s leaders. In addition, the NCYI called on Rep. Wasserman Schultz and the DNC to also distance themselves from Reps. Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib due to their support for the anti-Semitic BDS movement.
In a recent op-ed in USA Today, Rep. Wasserman Schultz, a Democrat from Florida who is the state’s first Jewish congresswoman and the former Chair of the DNC, noted that she had to disassociate herself from the Women’s March and its leadership. “While I still firmly believe in its values and mission, I cannot associate with the national march’s leaders and principles, which refuse to completely repudiate anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry,” she wrote. “I cannot walk shoulder to shoulder with leaders who lock arms with outspoken peddlers of hate.”
“[W]ith anti-Semitism and white nationalism apparently on the upswing in America and globally, the associations that (Linda) Sarsour, (Carmen) Perez and (Tamika) Mallory have had with Nation of Islam (NOI) leader Louis Farrakhan have been most troubling,” she added.
The DNC withdrew its sponsorship of the Women’s March shortly after Tamika Mallory declined to denounce Louis Farrakhan, who has a long history of making anti-Semitic comments, during a TV appearance.
“We greatly appreciate Rep. Wasserman Schultz’s strong words explaining why she felt compelled to separate from the Women’s March and the toxic environment caused by its leaders’ steadfast refusal to condemn a known anti-Semite who delights in making bigoted and vile remarks about Jews, and we welcome the DNC’s decision to extricate itself from a group that has become tainted by allegations of anti-Semitism” said NCYI President Farley Weiss. “Their actions send a strong message that we cannot stay silent in the face of anti-Semitism.”
While referring to Reps. Omar and Tlaib’s pro-BDS stance, the NCYI noted that the international working definition of anti-Semitism, which was adopted by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance in 2016 and is utilized by the U.S. State Department, includes various anti-Israel activities, such as those employed by BDS activists in their quest to delegitimize the State of Israel.
“In light of their willingness to take a principled stand against bigotry, we call upon Rep. Wasserman Schultz and the DNC to also speak out against Rep. Ilhan Omar and Rep. Rashida Tlaib, each of whom has been unwavering in their support for the anti-Semitic BDS movement,” added Weiss. “By wholeheartedly endorsing an effort that delegitimizes Israel and whose objective is Israel’s destruction, Reps. Omar and Tlaib have displayed a degree of anti-Semitic behavior that warrants widespread condemnation. Racism, such as the type exhibited by Reps. Omar and Tlaib, has no place in Congress or anywhere in our country, and we call upon Rep. Wasserman Schultz, the DNC, and all Members of Congress to distance themselves from the pro-BDS forces and unequivocally denounce this anti-Semitic effort.”
- Young Israel: College Campuses Shouldn't Embrace Anti-Semites
- Young Israel Statement on Netanyahu Victory
- Young Israel Statement on AirBNB Israel Decision
- Young Israel Statement on President Trump’s Announcement Regarding the Golan Heights
- Young Israel Calls on King Abdullah to Distance Himself from Terrorism and Anti-Semitism After Jordanian MP Praises Terrorist for “Killing the Jews”
- Young Israel Statement on the Deadly Shooting in New Zealand
- Young Israel Statement on U.S. Position Regarding Golan Heights, Judea and Samaria
- Young Israel Praises U.S. Middle East Envoy for Defending Israel’s Decision to Deduct Tax Payments to the Palestinian Authority
- Young Israel Gala Dinner to Honor Israel Supporters, WWII Veterans, and Active Young Israel Members
- Young Israel Blasts Palestinian Authority’s Anti-Semitic Attack on Trump Administration Officials