Young Israel Participates in White House ‘PEPFAR’ EventDecember 11, 2018
The National Council of Young Israel (NCYI) recently participated in an important event at the White House in conjunction with the 30th anniversary of the first World AIDS Day and the 15th anniversary of the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
At the special event, Vice President Mike Pence thanked the faith-based community for their humanitarian efforts across the United States and around the globe. In addition, Vice President Pence announced that the United States will invest $100 million through PEPFAR towards attaining HIV epidemic control and advancing justice for children.
“As a faith-based organization, we are part of a global community and have a duty to engage in civic activities aimed at making our world a better place and helping those in need,” said NCYI Director of Government Relations & Policy Communications Nachman Mostofsky, who attended the conference. “PEPFAR is a wonderful example of a bipartisan initiative that has touched the lives of tens of millions of people and worked to ensure that they will have a better and healthier future.”
PEPFAR was established by the United States in order to address the HIV outbreak and represents the biggest commitment ever by a single country aimed at dealing with a specific medical ailment. To date, the resources expended by PEPFAR are directly responsible for saving 17 million lives.
“Congress’ recent decision to extend PEPFAR for an additional five years ensures that the United States will continue playing a critical role in fighting a deadly disease that reached epidemic proportions across the globe,” said Mostofsky. “By embarking on additional groundbreaking measures focused on education, treatment and prevention, PEPFAR will keep building on its past success and make additional inroads in over fifty countries around the world.”
- Young Israel Statement on President Trump’s Announcement Regarding the Golan Heights
- Young Israel Calls on King Abdullah to Distance Himself from Terrorism and Anti-Semitism After Jordanian MP Praises Terrorist for “Killing the Jews”
- Young Israel Statement on the Deadly Shooting in New Zealand
- Young Israel Statement on U.S. Position Regarding Golan Heights, Judea and Samaria
- Young Israel Praises U.S. Middle East Envoy for Defending Israel’s Decision to Deduct Tax Payments to the Palestinian Authority
- Young Israel Gala Dinner to Honor Israel Supporters, WWII Veterans, and Active Young Israel Members
- Young Israel Blasts Palestinian Authority’s Anti-Semitic Attack on Trump Administration Officials
- Young Israel Urges Passage of Congressional Bill Recognizing Israeli Sovereignty over Golan Heights
- Young Israel Statement on New Family Planning Rules from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Young Israel Praises Passage of House Anti-Semitism Resolution