Young Israel: NY’s New Abortion Law Is Not KosherJanuary 28, 2019
The National Council of Young Israel (NCYI) today blasted New York State’s new law which allows late-term abortions. The Reproductive Health Act (RHA), which was overwhelmingly approved by the NYS Senate and Assembly last week, was signed into law by Governor Andrew Cuomo shortly thereafter.
Before the RHA was enacted, NYS only allowed abortions to be performed past the 24th week of a pregnancy if there was a risk to the mother’s life by continuing the pregnancy.
“New York State’s Reproductive Health Act is a moral morass and a step in the wrong direction,” said NCYI President Farley Weiss. “The new law makes no distinction as to the viability of the fetus when allowing late-term abortions, and will inevitably lead to an upsurge of abortions in the second and third trimesters, when the fetus is viable. With approximately one-quarter of all pregnancies in New York State ending with an abortion, Governor Cuomo and the legislature just opened the door for that frightening number to increase significantly. With its ethical shortcomings and alarming stipulations, the Reproductive Health Act is categorically not kosher.”
The National Council of Young Israel noted that the RHA runs counter to former President Barack Obama’s national vision ‘to reduce the number of women seeking abortions.’
“We see no reason for the governor and legislature to rejoice at the RHA’s passage, which will result in additional abortions occurring in New York State,” added Weiss. “Enabling the termination of more pregnancies and facilitating further opportunities to perform abortions when the fetus is viable is certainly not a cause for celebration. As the number of abortions performed in the United States continues to decline, a trend that held true throughout President Obama’s time in office, New York State took the dubious step of enacting a law that is diametrically opposed to the nationwide goal of reducing abortions.”
- Young Israel Praises Passage of House Anti-Semitism Resolution
- Young Israel Blasts Ilhan Omar’s Inadequate “Apology”
- testing weekly post
- Young Israel: Democratic Leadership Should Strip Ilhan Omar of Her Committee Assignments After Her Reprehensible Anti-Semitic Tropes
- Young Israel Statement on President Trump’s State of the Union Address
- Young Israel Praises Selection of Elan Carr as Anti-Semitism Envoy
- Young Israel Statement on Palestinian Authority’s Refusal of U.S. Aid
- Young Israel Supports Congressional Resolution Rejecting Anti-Israel and Anti-Semitic Hatred
- Young Israel Praises Wasserman Schultz and DNC for Distancing Themselves from the Women’s March; Calls on Them to Distance Themselves from Reps. Omar and Tlaib Due to Their BDS Support