Young Israel: NY’s New Abortion Law Is Not KosherJanuary 28, 2019
The National Council of Young Israel (NCYI) today blasted New York State’s new law which allows late-term abortions. The Reproductive Health Act (RHA), which was overwhelmingly approved by the NYS Senate and Assembly last week, was signed into law by Governor Andrew Cuomo shortly thereafter.
Before the RHA was enacted, NYS only allowed abortions to be performed past the 24th week of a pregnancy if there was a risk to the mother’s life by continuing the pregnancy.
“New York State’s Reproductive Health Act is a moral morass and a step in the wrong direction,” said NCYI President Farley Weiss. “The new law makes no distinction as to the viability of the fetus when allowing late-term abortions, and will inevitably lead to an upsurge of abortions in the second and third trimesters, when the fetus is viable. With approximately one-quarter of all pregnancies in New York State ending with an abortion, Governor Cuomo and the legislature just opened the door for that frightening number to increase significantly. With its ethical shortcomings and alarming stipulations, the Reproductive Health Act is categorically not kosher.”
The National Council of Young Israel noted that the RHA runs counter to former President Barack Obama’s national vision ‘to reduce the number of women seeking abortions.’
“We see no reason for the governor and legislature to rejoice at the RHA’s passage, which will result in additional abortions occurring in New York State,” added Weiss. “Enabling the termination of more pregnancies and facilitating further opportunities to perform abortions when the fetus is viable is certainly not a cause for celebration. As the number of abortions performed in the United States continues to decline, a trend that held true throughout President Obama’s time in office, New York State took the dubious step of enacting a law that is diametrically opposed to the nationwide goal of reducing abortions.”
- Young Israel: College Campuses Shouldn't Embrace Anti-Semites
- Young Israel Statement on Netanyahu Victory
- Young Israel Statement on AirBNB Israel Decision
- Young Israel Statement on President Trump’s Announcement Regarding the Golan Heights
- Young Israel Calls on King Abdullah to Distance Himself from Terrorism and Anti-Semitism After Jordanian MP Praises Terrorist for “Killing the Jews”
- Young Israel Statement on the Deadly Shooting in New Zealand
- Young Israel Statement on U.S. Position Regarding Golan Heights, Judea and Samaria
- Young Israel Praises U.S. Middle East Envoy for Defending Israel’s Decision to Deduct Tax Payments to the Palestinian Authority
- Young Israel Gala Dinner to Honor Israel Supporters, WWII Veterans, and Active Young Israel Members
- Young Israel Blasts Palestinian Authority’s Anti-Semitic Attack on Trump Administration Officials